During these challenging times, CertiStar would like to express our support to the restaurant community and its millions of workers. While we don’t have the answers, we’ve put together a list of initiatives, programs, and resources to try to help restaurants stay afloat through this crisis.
Legal Initiatives Worth Joining
- The Independent Restaurant Coalition has launched a campaign and hashtag #SaveRestaurants, calling on lawmakers to give immediate relief to the industry. This proposal includes a 6-month income replacement program valued at $440 B. Everyone is welcomed to join the movement.
- You can also be an advocate for a restaurant bailout. Here is a sample script you can use to email and call your representatives.
Programs Helping Restaurants
- Last week President Trump signed the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act, the single largest economic relief package in U.S. history at $2.2 trillion. This relief package lets restaurant workers and owners apply to benefits including rehiring/payroll incentives, SBA loan forgiveness, and tax breaks. For more information click here.
- The Dining Bonds Initiative is open to any restaurant/bar/eatery across the globe. The program asks diners to invest in future dinners through the purchase of gift certificates. Start your application to join their list of participating restaurants.
- Give Local and Local for Later allow diners to easily find local restaurants promoting gift card sales while their doors are closed. You can add your restaurant to their list of businesses.
- The Southern Smoke Foundation is providing emergency funding for restaurant owners. To access this assistance, you must complete their application form. These funds are available to businesses in any state.
- The James Beard Foundation started the Food and Beverage Industry Relief Fund to help restaurants struggling through the pandemic. Get more details about the application process.
- Spill the Dish offers a database of resources (non-profit funds, government agencies, changed laws, even GoFundMe’s), searchable by state and type of relief.
Help for Restaurants Workers
- One fair wage is providing no-strings-attached cash assistance to restaurant workers and delivery workers. Their goal is to raise $213,000 in donations. Get help by filling out the following form.
- Restaurant Opportunities Centers United is giving resources and financial assistance to restaurant workers impacted by the coronavirus. Click here to apply for their assistance.
- The Restaurant Workers’ Community Foundation announced the COVID-19 crisis relief fund. Workers seeking RWCF’s direct assistance should go to the Southern Smoke application form to submit their information and needs. These funds are open to any state.
- United States Bartenders Guild is offering emergency assistance to full-time and part-time bartenders. You can find the application link here.
CertiStar has strong ties to the restaurant industry and we greatly value the relationships that we’ve built with our many partners. It is distressing for our team to see the challenges the restaurant industry is facing at this time. We know that this is only temporary, and we wish you strength in the face of adversity. We are all in this together.